Saturday, September 7, 2013

Rainbow Nails Banned in Olympics?

I just saw this in the news and had to post it for you guys. 
Emma Green Tregaro, a Swedish Olympic athlete, painted her nails rainbow colors for the Olympics. Apparently many Olympic athletes are painting their nails in rainbow colors to protest against Russia's "no gay propaganda" law. 

Here are her nails up close, which she posted on instagram. 
Here are her thoughts on the subject and her nails, from a different article:
Tregaro, who placed fifth at Moscow’s Luzhniki Stadium, said she was “surprised by the big reaction” but happy because it has “mostly been very positive,” reported AP. She added that “it was harder to notm paint [the fingernails] in the rainbow than it was to choose to paint them.”Talking to Swedish media, the high jumper explained that in her view, “love for another person is the most beautiful thing in the world, and that's what I want to show, no matter the gender or whatever.” However, after Swedish athletics officials asked her to “please respect the rules” and change the color of her nails, Green Tregaro decided “to paint them red instead, for love.”
I find this pretty interesting. It isn't just nail bloggers and polish enthusiasts painting their nails for a cause. Even Olympic athletes risk their participation to make a statement that supports equality and love. I'm really moved by their effort and appalled by Russia's new law. 
What do you think about this?

4 comments:

  1. I think it's really cool! I don't care about sports whatsoever but I like that they use their influence to make a statement. Sucks that she was asked to change the color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is AWESOME! However, I still think the US should boycott the Olympics. Yes, I know the athletes have worked HARD. But this is a human rights issue and we should take a stand.

    I have mixed feelings about watching the olympics. I want to cheer on the athletes (ok I know they can't hear me thru the tv lol). But this is just SO WRONG.

    Great post, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its awesome that she wanted to showcase her statement with painted nails. What is wrong with this? Nothing!! I think this is the best way to showcase ones feelings about the so called "no gay propaganda".. What has the world come too?
    I have to agree with The Crafty Angel above comment.. I am not sure I want to watch the Olympics either. That so called rule is so WRONG! Love is love and it doesn't matter who with..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful adalah nail art designs , love the colour combination and they look great. Impressive as always! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments, and always read every one!